Winter is approaching and the desire for warming, comfy foods is getting stronger, right? You can support your body during this upcoming cold season by nourishing it with hearty, grounding, and deeply nourishing foods.
“What good is the warmth of summer,
without the cold of winter to give it sweetness.”
This charming and warming breakfast idea will set you up for a beautiful day. It doesn’t always have to be a smoothie or cold bowl of cereal – especially not in winter.
Quinoa is a gluten-free, protein rich, and nutty tasting alternative to the good old oats (porridge). Adding juicy dates will give this meal a sweet touch and provide you with minerals and extra fiber. The walnuts do not only bring an interesting crunch into the bowl, they also deliver essential omega fats. Plus, the (optional) pinch of cinnamon and cardamom bring a little sweet and spicy flavor into your quinoa bowl which makes it even more comfy.
Ready? – I warmly invite you to get all ingredients, and we’ll meet in the kitchen! 🙂
Ingredients (2 servings)
- 150 g quinoa (3/4 – 1 cup)
- 1 apple (small)
- 4-5 dates (dried)
- 2-3 tbsp walnuts
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp cardamom
- 1 pinch salt
- 100 ml almond milk (or plant milk of your choice)
- Optional: 2 tsp maple syrup
- Chop walnuts roughly and dry roast them on medium heat until they’re slightly browned.
- Pit and cut dates.
- Wash, core and grate apple.
- Bring quinoa in 100 ml water and 100 ml plant milk, together with the spices (salt, cinnamon, cardamom) to a boil. Cover and lower heat.
- Add grated apple, chopped dates and walnuts after 5-7 minutes cooking.
- Continue simmering for 10 minutes (until quinoa is soft).
- Optional: Add maple syrup.
- Serve in a beautiful bowl of your choice and feel free to top it with seeds/nuts of your choice, a splash of plant milk and/or some more fruits.
What a healthy “soul food” – Is there anything else to say?