“Because we are what we eat,
we can literally transform our bodies and minds
by choosing an inspiring diet.”
Do you feel like indulging into a refreshing, yet super tasty bowl of raw foods, but don’t really have an idea of what to combine? How to make a delish dressing? Then this recipe is exactly what you’re looking for.
This recipe is perfect for the autumnish or even winter season. The salad is made from a super healthy and grounding root vegetable: beetroot. Its deep purple color traces back to a phytochemical component named “betalain” – scientific studies have proven its potent antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and chemo-preventive activity in vitro as well as in vivo (Clifford et al., 2015; Chawla et al., 2016).
Ingredients (2 servings)
- 200 g beetroot
- 1 apple (medium)
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp almond butter (or tahini)
- ½ lemon or lime (juice)
- 1 tsp maple syrup (or any other liquid sweetener)
- pinch of sea salt, pepper (freshly grounded)
- optional: sprouts (e. g. Alfalafa), fresh herbs (e. g. basil, parsley), cranberries
- For the dressing, mix almond butter, lemon juice, maple syrup, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Roast sesame seeds in a pan.
- Wash and grate raw beetroot and apple in a bowl.
- Pour dressing over the salad, add roasted sesame seeds, and combine well.
- The salad goes well with sprouts, fresh herbs or cranberries.
Enjoy this refreshing and nourishing bowl of raw relish!
Clifford T., Howatson G., West D. J., Stevenson E. J. The Potential Benefits of Red Beetroot Supplementation in Health and Disease. Nutrients (2015). Vol. 7, 2801-2822.
Chawla H., Parle M., Sharma K., et al. Beetroot: A Health Promoting Functional Food. Review Article. Inventi Impact: Nutraceuticals (2016). Vol. 1:8-12.